Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> I think that this is what someone once meant by the 'babel' concept -
> human languages tend to diverge into more and more fragmented languages
> instead of converging on one language.  It's kind of sad.  Imagine all the

Actually, it's going the other way.  The attrition rate of languages today
is tremendous.  Linguists are scrambling to record disappearing languages
while there are still native speakers left, but splinter languages are
probably now disappearing faster than they can be recorded.  It is not
likely that there will ever be just one world language, but language
extinction seems to be accellerating, rather than slowing down.

Jonathan