Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> Not often, no.  If I spell my name to someone over the phone, it's because
> there's lots of morons working at mail order places taking orders, and

OK, if a native English speaker can't spell "Scott Stone," there may be a
strong argument for the moron theory :-)  I, however, have had to spell my
name over the phone lots of times (both first and last).

> they don't always listen well :)  Besides, it's a lot easier to spell
> something out using a 26-character alphabet than it is to describe a kanji
> verbally...

Actually, no it isn't.  You should listen to native Japanese speakers doing
this some time.  They can do it just as quickly and accurately as English
speakers can clarify using spelling.

> Well, Japanese phones are certainly smaller, is that what you meant? :)

That's a recent development.  I've got a big old NTT anwering phone that
would be right at home in any big American house :-)

Jonathan