Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Jonathan Byrne writes:
>  > On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>  >
>  > > This would indicate to me that something IS wrong with the Japanese
>  > > language, if you have to explain yourself verbally via the writing system.
>
> I thought we beat this one to death a few months ago. Geez, I go away
> for a few weeks, and look what happens.
>
> > That's what I do mainly. In the Internet the decision has
> > already been taken: English rules. Whoever THINKS of setting up
> > a website these days in another language than English ... ?
>
> > I just have to look at the companies in Germany. Most of the
> > bigger ones are multinational and their internal reports are
> > done in English. German is on its way out. Maybe we'll trash it
> > one day completely ?
>
> Extending the same logic, I suppose that instead of trying to cope
> with human differences (and, dare I say, growing in the process), we
> should try to eliminate those differences in the interest of
> efficiency. But I'm sure nobody believes that ...

I think that this is what someone once meant by the 'babel' concept -
human languages tend to diverge into more and more fragmented languages
instead of converging on one language.  It's kind of sad.  Imagine all the
neat wars we could have if everyone could understand everyone else's
insults! :) (just kidding - actually I think it would be good for the
world overall if we could all understand each other)

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)