Re: tlug: kanji or romaji for Japanese? (was: parallel-port IDE)

Karl-Max Wagner <karlmax@example.com> wrote,

> > On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Karl-Max Wagner wrote:
> >
> > > That's what I do mainly. In the Internet the decision has
> > > already been taken: English rules. Whoever THINKS of setting up
> > > a website these days in another language than English ( apart
> > > from some cases with strictly local content that's not
> >
> > My, what a sheltered world you live in.  Most of the web sites in Japan,
> > regardless of content, are in Japanese, and Japanese only.   My (admittedly
>
> True. That is what I meant with "strictly local content". At
> least that is the effect. I for one wouldn't like to limit the
> effect of a website I set up to just a single region. If
> worldwide is what I can do, I'd go for it.
>
> What it comes down to is: just using a local language is pretty
> much the same as putting yourself into a virtual ghetto. If some
> people like it that way, they're welcome. I for me don't want to
> place myself in one ( nor does the majority of Europeans ).
>
> > limited) experience with web sites in Chinese-speaking countries indicates a
> > similar pattern.   There are apparently quite a few French web sites [1]
> > that are either bilingual or in French only.  I have also encountered ones
>
> French only is not that frequent. They're mostly bilingual.
> French is only used for some local content. Technical stuff in
> the vast majority of cases ins English. I sometimes have email
> exchanges with French technical types. So far the exchange has
> NEVER been in French ( despite my explicit offer in all cases )
> but in English. They flatly refused using French for email.

You must be kidding.  Actually, as far as I remember, in
France there is a *law* that says you have too publish all
content also in French if it is to be posted on a server of
a public agency (university etc).  Moreover, there is a law
saying that a certain (quite high) amount of all broadcasted
songs on radio have to be in French.

Manuel