Re: tlug: Intranet

> Hi, I'm still tring to get my intranet working (it's just 2 machines,
> why can't I fix it???).
>     Here is the deal:
>         I can ping, but can't do anything else (telnet, ftp, etc). I
> found on my logs this:
>
> Oct 17 22:38:10 rapido in.ftpd[1932]: warning: can't get client address:
> Connection timed out
> Oct 17 22:38:10 rapido in.ftpd[1932]: connect from unknown
>
> Oct 17 22:41:47 rapido in.telnetd[2050]: warning: can't get client
> address: Connection timed out
> Oct 17 22:41:48 rapido in.telnetd[2050]: connect from unknown
>
>     Then I tried to configure my named, I think I did everything right.
> But the same problem happens. Only with /etc/hosts, the same thing...I
> don't know what else to do. I'll send you some data about my network.
>
>     The main machine is called "rapido" e the other one is called
> "lento". "rapido" has a Genius NE2000 PCI Board, on "lento" I don't know
> the manufacturer, but the Board is ISA. As I can ping, I figured out
> that the problem isn't on hardware, but configuration. Anyway, here goes
> my ifconfig for eth0 on "rapido":
>
> eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:DF:E4:ED:F5
>               inet addr:192.168.1.1  Bcast:192.168.1.254
> Mask:255.255.255.0
>               UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>               RX packets:205 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>               TX packets:231 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0
>               Interrupt:11 Base address:0xef40
>
> "rapido's" /etc/host.conf:
>
> order hosts bind
> multi on
>
> "rapido's" /etc/host:
>
> 127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost
>
> "rapido's" /etc/hosts:
>
> 192.168.1.1        rapido           rapido.rct.net
> 192.168.1.2        lento            lento.rct.net
> 127.0.0.1            localhost        localhost.localdomain
> 200.224.74.34   ifnet            ifnet.com.br
> 200.134.10.5     dainf            dainf.cefetpr.br
>
> "rapido's" /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> domain     rct.net
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
> nameserver 200.224.74.34

The last line in your /etc/resolv.conf is probably the culprit
because the nameserver 200.224.74.34 is only available when you
are hooked to the net - and evwen then it won't work because
this nameserver doesn't know about your local machines for sure.
Thus bind lookup for your local network is bound to fail.

If you want to use bind you have to set it up locally on one
machine and use it on both machines. In that case it is also
better to use the eth0 address as the nameserver address. So, if
the nameserver is running on rapido, then use

       nameserver 192.168.1.1

on both machines. BTW, what does nslookup tell you ? Try to look
up rapido and lento by it ! I slowly get the impression that due
to some configuration mistake with named ( believe me, BIND is a
picky beast .... ) it gives wrong answers.

I guess you should track down that first.

For a test you also can disable the startup of named upon boot
so that all your daemons have to rely on /etc/hosts. However, if
a nameserver is running, pretty much all programs seem to prefer
it even if it spits out total bullshit and consequently fail.
Seems to me that this is your problem.

Ping normally works because it does not rely so stupidly on
named....

"It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
  But they called it                 karlmax@example.com
    W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"