Re: tlug: Intranet

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Rafael Coninck Teigao wrote:

> Hi, I'm still tring to get my intranet working (it's just 2 machines,
> why can't I fix it???).
>     Here is the deal:
>         I can ping, but can't do anything else (telnet, ftp, etc). I
> found on my logs this:

I'm not anything like an expert on DNS and BIND, nor do I play one on TV,
but I see to be about the only person around, so I'll take a shot at this.
I also have a setup just like yours (but I'm on a leased line; maybe you're
on dial-up?), except it works :-)
-------------------------
Here's my /etc/host.conf

order hosts,bind
multi on

-------------------------

Here's my /etc/hosts:

127.0.0.1       localhost              localhost.localdomain
202.235.216.25  ayu-kws.3web.ne.jp     ayu-kws
202.235.216.24  iwana-kws.3web.ne.jp   iwana-kws

Note that this is not the same as yours; the FQDN
comes first, and the nickname comes last.  I don't know
if this matters or not, but I suggest backing up your
present /etc/hosts and then fixing the order so it's
the same as in mine.

--------------------------

Here's my resolv.conf:

nameserver 202.235.209.34
nameserver 202.235.192.66
nameserver 202.235.193.34

Try setting those three files so they look like mine (but with your info, of
course ;-)   ) and see if that gets your system fixed up.

I would also suggest that running your own DNS server on a LAN with only two
hosts is some kind of overkill, unless you're just doing that to get the
experience.  But for starters, it's best to get your network functioning.
Once your network services all work with this configuration, then let's take
another shot at getting your local DNS working.

Cheers,

Jonathan