Re: tlug: NFS question

Hi all,

IMHO everything suggested so far is unnecessary complex. I'd do
it the following way:

On the server in /etc/exports:

I enter the user machines and the directories that are exported
to them ( their home directories, maybe some directories ro with
tools for general use ).

I also create the home directories for the users

On the clients in /etc/fstab:

I add the nfs directories that are to be mounted at boot time
from the server.

Appropriate application of the above should pretty much solve
all problems.

To distribute config files: either you use rdist or the like or
you put them into the home directory of the users and have a
script copy them onto the client machine at boot time. you ncan
also use links pointing to them directly ( however, I have a
bias against pointing links into nfs mounted directories - it's
not particularly secure because all authentication requests are
sent over nfs ).

"It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
  But they called it                 karlmax@example.com
    W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"