Re: tlug: RJ-11 in the UK?

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> On 15 Oct 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:
>
> >She's telling the truth.  It's wider and thinner than an RJ-ll.
>
> Thanks!  I called her back and told her to grab a Japanese-speaking friend and
> go on Safari to Den-Den Town (she's in the Osaka area), and look in some
> stores that sell a lot of adapter stuff.
>
> >Tut-tut!  I'm sure that she's fundamentally a _very_ nice person.
>
> Maybe, but inquiring minds wanna keep their distance :-)
>
> >Another thing to watch for is the "guard tone" setting.  I think
>
> What's a guard tone?

In England, they have guards around the palace to keep idiots away from
the Queen.  Likewise, they have guards on the dialtones to keep idiots
away from the phone system.  So far, the guys at Buckingham have a better
record.  :)

Actually, I'm not exactly sure what a 'guard tone' is either, but most
analog modems seem to be able to do it, USRs, I think, with AT&G1 or
something like that.  Which is used for something completely different on
my ISDN adapter, which I suppose is okay.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)