Re: tlug: Sendmail won't deliver from unrecognized host.

jwb@example.com (Jim Breen) writes:

> >> I am having a problem with my sendmail.  I think that sendmail won't
> >> deliver local mail if it cannot find the hostname in the from line via
> >> DNS.  For example, the one today was from
> >>     jwb@example.com
[...]
> >> and
> >>     ping dgs.monash.edu.au
> >> fails to find the host.
>
> Of course it won't, because it's not a host; it's a mail alias.

That would be right.  But Michael indicated that he was pulling
his mail with Pop3.  If he's on a serial line or behind a
firewall, his machine might not find the real host either
... over to you, Michael?

Also, do a tail -f /var/log/maillog and tail -f /var/log/messages
when you try to pull, and see what sort of messages issue from
sendmail.  That would give you a bit more info on what's going on
before (as I imprudently suggested in my last note) you start
hacking on the sendmail configuration file.

Cheers,
--
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@