Re: tlug: Re: linux cluster

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Marcus Metzler wrote:

> Scott Stone writes:
>  > On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Darren Cook wrote:
>  >
>  > > >[If] your main bottleneck is CPU <-> memory bandwidth. This
>  > > >implies two things:
>  > > >
>  > > >* Buy the biggest cache you can get
>  > >
>  > > Pentium-II seems limited to 512Kb cache. The next Intel chip is supposed to
>  > > have larger cache (and be better designed for parallel processing), but it
>  > > is going to be *much* more expensive.
>  >
>  > hm, AMD K6s can handle more than 512kb...
>  >
> But they lack the floating point performance, although they are faster
> at integer at the same clock speed.

well, they're fast enough at floating point for almost anything, esp. the
K6-2 series, which adds some new floating point wizardry that the original
K6 does not have.  In any case, they've always been better than the Cyrix
6x86, at least.  The upshot is that I can use xmame under X11 at 16bpp
now, whereas before I had to use 8bpp since 16bpp was too slow.  And
compiling stuff is really fast :) .. But I suppose for scientific
computing/what have you, the fpu speed is probably more important...

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)