Re: tlug: NFS question

Scott Stone <sstone@example.com> writes:

> You're sure there's no BOOTP stuff for Windows, too?  Anyway, I'm fairly
> familiar with bootp and I can send some sample config files if anyone
> wants them.  It's pretty easy.  I made a program once that would sniff
> your local network and generate a bootp config file based on the current
> settings of each machine on your LAN, but now I can't remember where it
> is... :)

I'm planning to write something similar some rainy winter's day,
to tighten up our administrative act.  We've got a central
reporting facility for IP addresses that's supposed to be kept up
to date as a reference for network development.  We've got too
many loose threads over here for me to do the checking by hand,
so I want to tie together a sniffer, and an Expect script to run
the command-line interface of the registry.  And go home early.

I was wondering, though, how to sniff out the MAC address that
matches an IP address?  Tcpdump only seems to yield IP address.

Many thanks,
--
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@