Re: tlug: Internet connections from Linux

> > I'm rather fond of the wmppp mini-applet for windowmaker ...
>
> Hmmm, I'm using that applet too (and Windowmaker, which I quite like).
> My only problem with it is that when I press "X" to disconnect, I see
> the word "ERROR" appear for about 2 seconds. Do you get this too? Or is
> it something in my setup?

It's running the getmodemspeed utility to figure out connect speed,
etc., and looks for messages in /etc/ppp/connect-errors.  If this
doesn't exist or your chat script doesn't have REPORT CARRIER and REPORT
CONNECT commands in it, you'll get these error messages.

The way it's supposed to work is that when you click the check button it
gives you the connect speed after it connects, displays it for a few
seconds, and then switches to displaying the current transfer rate.
I'm not sure what it's checking when the carrier drops.

Anyway, I've never bothered getting everything set up to wmppp's
satisfaction.  I'm still getting the error messages you refer to.  A
minor annoyance, but so far it hasn't bothered me enough to fix it (too
many other things further up the queue).

Regards,
--
Rex