Re: tlug: Locale mess

On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> POSIX locales have been unimplemented on most systems for most locales
> until very recently.  I think Linux only got a working Japanese locale
> within the last few months, and then only for glibc systems.

Do you mean ftp://dkuug.dk/i18n/WG15-collection/locales/ja_JP ?
I'm trying to compile it with glibc-2.0.17 localedef and get

[root@example.com locales]# localedef -i ja_JP -f JIS_X0201 ja_JP
ja_JP:583: syntax error in definition of new character class
ja_JP:592: syntax error in definition of LC_CTYPE category
ja_JP:623: syntax error in definition of LC_CTYPE category
ja_JP:628: syntax error in definition of LC_CTYPE category

[several hundreds of error messages deleted]

Any idea?

> I seem to recall that one version or another of XFree86 took the
> unconditional-delegate-to-libc route.  So you might have got such a
> library, in which case a program built to use Xsetlocale mightn't
> work.  I'm not really sure why, though, I thought the whole point of
> the trickery was to avoid this outcome.

AFAIK, recent XFree86 versions do compile Xsetlocale support only for
libc5 systems. They assume that locale on glibc systems is working
perfectly - which, ummm, is not the case, at least on my Red Hat
5.1 system (see above).

-Klaus