tlug: re: TL install problem/ *LI*

MC wrote:

>(486DX/4-100 system), but after doing the full install, and rebooting,
>the computer starts up and shows "LI" and hangs...
>Can anyone help me out with this problem?

Scott Stone, doko desu ka?

Let me give you the textbook answer to the LI question--can`t say if it`s
the right answer for your particular situation.

You`re getting LI (and not LILO) because

1. The kernel or parts of it are above cylinder 1023 (past, say _about_ 400
megs) and the BIOS can`t find it.

2. The kernel is on a drive the BIOS can`t access--not hda or hdb; or SCSI
0 (or SCSI 1, if you have no IDE drives).

To solve this problem you should

1. If possible, reinstall and a create a /boot partion below the 1023 mark
(ie, on the first couple hundred megs to be safe).

2.  Or boot from a floopy.  do <linux rescue> at the prompt.  wade thru
some screens to the boot prompt.  Mount the partion that is your root (say,
hda5), as follows <mkdir /mnt>  enter <mount /dev/hda5 /mnt>.
Then <lilo -v -r /mnt> to get a more detailed report as to exactly what the
problem is.

The above, again, is a standard response to the LI problem.  Hope it might
be of use in yours--can`t in anyway say for sure.

Best,
TJH