Re: tlug: Re: multi-processor linux configuration ?

    Manuel> "Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com> wrote,

    Manuel> Hmm, I use rsync daily and never had a problem with CPU
    Manuel> usage.  Disk and network access speed usually constraints
    Manuel> its performance.  Is it possible that you used it some
    Manuel> time ago when it was still in its infants?  From the rsync
    Manuel> mailing list, I figure that it is quite widely used for
    Manuel> rather heavy jobs these days.

It was quite some time ago, 9 months, maybe a year. I don't remember
exactly.

    Manuel> Broadcasting would definitely be worthwhile if you have a
    Manuel> big number of machines.  But then, such a program would
    Manuel> need a while to develop.  So how about the old parallel
    Manuel> computing idea of realising broadcasts by a tree-like
    Manuel> communication scheme.  Machine M1 rsyncs to M2, in the
    Manuel> next step M1 rsyncs to M3 while M2 rsyncs to M4, in the
    Manuel> next step M1 to M4 rsync four other machines, and so on.
    Manuel> Easy to implement and rsync already uses time-stamps.

I have a bit of broadcast bias, as the core part of our business is
doing reliable broadcasts. We have a daemon and some libs that make
UDP reliable, even in the event of transient network problems.

One problem I see in doing a tree propagation is that if the machines
are on the same local network, traffic is going to grow exponentially.

    Manuel> Sorry, for pushing rsync, but I am just enthusiastic about
    Manuel> the program :-)

No problem, I sometimes need to be nudged out of my set ways. :) I'll
have to give rsync another try.

Andy