Re: tlug: Re: multi-processor linux configuration ?

> From: jwb@example.com (Jim Breen)
> Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 12:21:32 -0500
> Sender: owner-tlug@example.com
>
> On Oct 14, 10:36am, Chris Sekiya wrote:
> } Subject: Re: tlug: Re: multi-processor linux configuration ?
> >>
> >> C/C++ do not parallelize very well.  If they're really serious about
> >> parallel programming on linux, they'd be better off doing their work in
> >> fortran (which parallelizes very well) and purchasing a decent compiler
> >> like PGI (which pretty much automagically groks MPI).
>
> Note that Andrej Sali mentioned they were going to use Clustor, which I
> know well as it's the commercial version of the Nimrod system developed
> by my colleague David Abramson.

Yes, that's right -- by David Abramson and Rok Sosic, a close friend
of mine. :)

Jim, I wish I had realized that David was there at Monash. When I got
up to Brisbane and tried to look him up, I realized that I'd just
missed him down there with you.

> Nimrod/Clustor provide an overall execution  management regime across
> multiple systems. It's particularly suited for problems that can be
> partitioned, such as atmospheric modelling, etc. etc.
>
> We have built a cluster of rack-mounted 330MHz Pentiums specifically for
> running Clustor-based applications. We can use either Linux (RH at
> present) or NT or a mixture of the two.

How many machines do you use?

Clustor can send out jobs to machines running NT and several varieties
of Unix, including Linux. I'm sure that you know this, Jim, but other
tluggers probably don't. Here's the url about Clustor:

  www.activetools.com

BTW, I have a trial CD of Clustor that I can give to the TLUG library
if there's interest.

Cliff

$BBeI=<hDyLr<RD9(B
$B%Q%7%U%#%C%/%O%$%F%C%/3t<02q<R(B