Re: tlug: Re: multi-processor linux configuration ?

On Oct 14, 10:36am, Chris Sekiya wrote:
} Subject: Re: tlug: Re: multi-processor linux configuration ?
>> On Wed, 14 Oct 1998, Cliff Miller wrote:
>> > You may want to consider which Linux system to use based upon the
>> > compiler. TurboLinux 2.0 uses gcc. TurboLinux 3.0 will use egcs, which
>> > handles C++ better and delivers faster code by as much as 25%.
>>
>> C/C++ do not parallelize very well.  If they're really serious about
>> parallel programming on linux, they'd be better off doing their work in
>> fortran (which parallelizes very well) and purchasing a decent compiler
>> like PGI (which pretty much automagically groks MPI).

Note that Andrej Sali mentioned they were going to use Clustor, which I
know well as it's the commercial version of the Nimrod system developed
by my colleague David Abramson.

Nimrod/Clustor provide an overall execution  management regime across
multiple systems. It's particularly suited for problems that can be
partitioned, such as atmospheric modelling, etc. etc.

We have built a cluster of rack-mounted 330MHz Pentiums specifically for
running Clustor-based applications. We can use either Linux (RH at
present) or NT or a mixture of the two.

Jim

--
Jim Breen        School of Computer Science & Software Engineering
Email: j.breen@example.com                Monash University