Re: tlug: parallel-port IDE

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Karl-Max Wagner wrote:

> > Yeah.  The modernization of Japan that began in the Meiji era is a great case
> > in point.  Japanese sea power, as one example, in a very short period of
> > time went from oar galleys to a modern, world-class navy that shattered
> > Russian naval power in decisive battles. Less than a century after the U.S.
>
> Sure. It helped, though, that the Czar regime at that time as
> well as the Russian aarmy at the time was pretty much in
> shambles.
>
> > government forced the Tokugawa shogunate to open the country , Japan had a
> > real shot at defeating the world's great powers in a major war (not total
> > defeat, but they could have had a negotiated peace and kept most or all of
> > what they  had gained).  All it would have taken was for the Japanese navy to
> > have blown the tank farm at Pearl Harbor and to have approached Midway with
> > the same seriousness and sense of danger with which it approached the Pearl
> > Harbor operation.
>
> Hmmm....they wouldn't have gotten towards Pearl Harbour at all
> if the US government ( which knew about the impending attack on
> Pearl Harbour well in advance ) wouldn't have allowed it in
> order to prepare the American public for entering WW II.

I don't fully buy the reasoning here.  If the government wanted to prepare
the public for WWII, they wouldn't have had the majority of the US navy
sitting there at the target site, they would have 'let' Japan attack
somewhere else.  We lost almost all of our commissioned battleships at
Pearl Harbor - the only ones that weren't there were either just being
finished in the shipyard or, I believe, were on their way to pearl harbor
anyway from a remote tour.  It was a devastating blow to the U.S. navy
that almost cost us the war.

(actually, the only reason the U.S. defeated the Japanese at all was
because of our larger industrial and population base.  Japanese hardware
was, almost without exception, superior to American hardware across the
board, but especially in air and surface sea power).

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)