Re: tlug: Kinput2 and Wnn6

On 13 Oct 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:

> And, er, that's it.  So it looks like the freeware sandwich that
> is currently Applixware/Kinput2/Wnn6 is to be supplanted by a
> fully commercial solution to the problem.  I don't state any
> opinion here on whether this is a good or bad thing or likely or
> unlikely to have happened.

If that's a freeware sandwich, it's got quite a hunk of meat in the middle -
Applix-J has a list price of nearly 30,000 yen, and Wnn6 is 9,000 yen.  It
also comes bundled with TurboLinux-J Pro.  In that light, I see the above
announcement as good news.  I have to, since Kinput2 just doesn't get the
job done very well.  The proprietary input methods on other platforms are
worlds better, and if they only way to get a quality input method on Linux
is to buy one, I'll pay that price.  After all, Applix and Wnn6 are both
proprietary too, so it's not like I've got some kind of a pure free software
environment anyway.  I'd be thrilled to see Kinput2 be as good as MS-IME,
but if it never does that, I'll take something else that does, free or
otherwise.

> But I'm glad that there's a solution in the works for our users.
> This combination is going to show just what a pile of rocks
> MS-equipped terminals are, and for once I am really looking
> forward to the configuration work that will be required.

Rocks they are, but they have Japanese input that's worlds ahead of what has
been available to us so far.  However, I'm glad to see that about to change.

> I'm going to go home now and get some sleep to try and shake this
> cold.  Playing squash yesterday evening does not seem to have
> been the correct medicine :)

I prescribe Kirin beer, especially if you have a sore throat :-)

Cheers,

Jonathan