Re: tlug: libc or glibc,easy install

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Darren Cook wrote:
>
> >2.I heard that the RedHat CD on sale in Akihabara was a buggy version
> >(5.0?), so I'd end up having to download lots of replacements. Has that
> >changed?
>
> I doubt it :-)
>
> >3.Any recommendations/advice generally? I want it to be easy to install,
> >and not require me to invest lots of time learning/understanding things (at
> >the expense of speed, disk space and flexibility if neccessary).
>
> Generally?  TurboLinux.  It's got both libc5 and glibc (Scott, is this going

3.0 will still support libc5 binaries, but the system will be much more
glibc-centered, which is a good thing, since that's the direction that
Linux development in general is heading.  Well, except for Slackware,
unless Patrick has relented recently.

> away for 3.0?), has good Japanese support (if you care), and has a lot of
> ease-of-use tools to help ease into it.  Not at the expense of flexibility,
> though.  If you want to edit everything by hand instead, feel free :-)
> Speedwise, you should most likely see better performance than you get with NT.
> Any machine that has the horsepower to run NT even halfway decently has quite
> enough to do well with Linux.  I run mine on a Pentium 100 with 48 meg (was a
> 90, but I got a Pentium 100 chip for 200 or 300 yen at the TLUG auction.
> Works great :-)   ).
>
> 3.0 (now in beta) will have even more ease-of-use tools than 2.0, so you get
> even more to look forward too :-)  Code Crusader (a Code Warrior-alike) will
> also be in there, 'cuz I'm always scouting around on freshmeat and places,
> looking for more cool stuff for them to add :-)
>
> A lot of people seem to also like Debian, although I've read that Dselect is
> kind of scary for Linux beginners (Steve, Joe, is it really?)

I've heard that it's gotten better.  In some ways it's more of a matter of
taste - TL gives you sysV init scripts, RPM, turbopkg, turbodesk, and the
turbolinux tools that I've made.  Debian gives you arguably more goodies
if you go through all the optional packages in the Debian archives, and it
has what Steve Turnbull likes to call "fine grained dependencies" if
you're really concerned about conserving disk space, which many people
are.  Personally, I like TL better (duh!), but there's definitely room for
all the distributions to coexist, since they each have their own
uniquities that different people will like.  My 2 cents, at least.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)