Re: My *beepin* 486 (was Re: tlug: The meeting...)

Jonathan-san;

Thanks for a decent bit of detective work :-)  I had found the page on the m/b diagram,
but not on the m/b specifications - couldn't find it the first time through.

Yes, it looks to be the memory to be my problem (I hope); the memory I used came out of
an intel TC430HX socket7 m/b, which would be EDO mem.  And just to confirm, the beeps on
bootup were 1 short followed by 2 sets of 3 short (1-3-3).

Any 486 memory gurus out there?  I couldn't find any reference to parity/non-parity.  Is
this an issue with FPM ram, or is there only one variety. Also, I know that *some* 486
boards will accept single memory modules (as opposed to adding modules in pairs); is
this true of all 486 boards?  I guess I'm looking for a total of 32meg; 2 16meg modules
is probably the safest.

Thanks again!

Sean.

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> This motherboard supports FPM memory but not EDO, so if the memory you got
> from that Pentium machine is EDO, that may well be the problem.
>
> I've also confirmed that you have a Phoenix BIOS, and according to my book,
> a 1-3-3 beep pattern from a Phoenix BIOS means:
>
> First 64K RAM chip or date line failure, multibit.
> Code at port 80h: 0Ah
>
> Lots of 486 boards do not support EDO RAM, so this seems at least
> suspicious.  Perhaps some of the real experts on this (Karl-Max?) could
> confirm whether this failure code is consistent with putting EDO memory in a
> motherboard that doesn't support it.
>
> Jonathan

> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Next Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

Sean Bennett      < sean@example.com >
Nnet/Nakamura Shoji Co. Ltd.
N-Bldg. 2Flr.;  1-12-24 Minami Odouri,