tlug: Internet connections from Linux

Bought a modem yesterday; to my surprise with help from HOWTOs I've
managed to connect to the internet and browse the web with Netscape. I
can also receive mail with Netscape without a problem.

However, I'm unable to configure Netscape to send mail, because when I
put "mail.iname.com" as my outgoing mail server and press OK, it
complains about the host not being found.

I imagine I have to put something in the /etc/hosts file, but what? I
have no idea what their IP address is. Why does NS for Linux need to
know where this host is, but NS for Windows doesn't?

Also, I have permission problems when trying to dial my ISP as a
non-root user. Could someone tell me how they approach this (in terms of
permissioning?) As I'm just a home user, I'd like to configure it so
anyone can dial out.

Thanks,

                            Neil.

Pile up the benefits that accrue from studying by
the light of fireflies reflected on the snow...