Re: tlug: "bz2" file format?

Although it was delayed,

In message "tlug: "bz2" file format?"
    on 98/09/26, Marcus Metzler <mocm@example.com> writes:
> Neil Booth writes:
>  > At kernel.org, in addition to .gz files, they have .bz2 files. They tend
>  > to be about 20% smaller than the .gz files. As such, if they are an
>  > alternative to the .gz files of the same name, I'd rather download the
>  > smaller "bz2" files.
>  >
>  > Is "bz2" some new compressed format? If so, how do I uncompress it?
> Yes it is a compression format. The program to un/compress is called
> bzip2. There are also versions of tar that can directly untar and
> unbzip the *.tar.bz2 files.

Generally, bzip2 is make smaller compressed file than gzip,
especialy patch files. This is why the kernel patch is compressed
by bz2 format.
but bzip2 cost much time than gzip, this is not adaptable for
communication ussages (eg. on time compresssion in wu-ftp tar.gz file)

I select gzip and bzip2 with my file type.

Hiroshi

--
Hiroshi MIURA
三浦広志 	miura@example.com