Re: tlug: CDROM mount problem

Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> Ever since I put in my new IDE drive, attempting to mount the CDROM
> drive gets me this message:
>
> /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

[from fstab]
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,ro,user  0 0

> It worked fine with the exact same settings before I added the new disk to
> the system, so why it doesn't work now kind of has me puzzled.

Do a `ls -l /dev/cdrom` and I'm guessing you'll see the problem.
/dev/cdrom is usually a symlink to the actual cdrom drive /dev/hdX.
If you add a new drive, the appropriate partition changes, so the
symlink needs to be changed. `rm cdrom; ln -sv hdX cdrom` should do
the trick.  (X should be b c or d, depending where the cdrom finally
ended up. b=primary slave, c=secondary master, d=secondary slave.)

BTW, is there any way to access CD changers by disk slot?  I'm thinking
symlinks of cdrom{A,B,C,D,E}.  IDE Disk changers show up as only one
hdX,
so getting linux to switch CD's is a pain.  (Right now I'm using
`shuffle X-X`.)

It would be great to get my Nakamichi set up with autofs to be able to
access all my CD's transparently.  Right now, it just accesses whatever
one
happens to have been last chosen.

--
Howard