tlug: CDROM mount problem

Ever since I put in my new IDE drive, attempting to mount the CDROM
drive gets me this message:

/dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

I have the new disk alone as the master on IDE header 0.  I have the CDROM
drive and the old disk on IDE  header 1.  I have tried reversing which is
master and which is slave, but it made no difference.  The disk drive
works correctly as either master or slave, but the CDROM drive cannot be
mounted in either case.  I've tried it with both commercial and CD-R media
with no success.  Is there anything obviously wrong with this fstab that I
ought to be noticing:

/dev/hda1               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda2               /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/hda5               /var                    ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda6               /tmp                    ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda7               /home                   ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda8               /usr                    ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/hda9               /usr/local              ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             vfat    noauto,user     0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,ro,user  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0

It worked fine with the exact same settings before I added the new disk to
the system, so why it doesn't work now kind of has me puzzled.

TIA,

Jonathan