Re: tlug: parallel-port IDE

On Sat, 10 Oct 1998, John De Hoog wrote:

> karlmax@example.com (Karl-Max Wagner) wrote:
>
> > I start to get the impression that setting up your operations in
> > Japan wasn't a helluva good idea. You shoulda gone to Europe, UK
> > for example. They speak the same language as in the US, to start
> > with. And dealers are a lot more flexible hereabouts....
> >
> > Actually, in Japan pretty much anything is in the hands of
> > biggies and service generally is shitty...
>
> > In general, I always got the impression that computer savvy
> > people in Japan are a lot less numerous that in Europe. Just
> > look at the docs that come with a new computer. Their level is
> > so low that you think they are made for monkeys.
> > I have to admit that I don't understand why that is so. I just
> > see the facts.....
>
> I don't know where you are coming from with these remarks, but they
> don't match my experience in Japan for the past 21 years. Apparently you
> know which shops to go to in Europe, but not in Japan. Hang out in
> Akihabara a little longer and get to know the back streets a bit more.
> And if you want to find out if there are computer-savvy people in Japan,
> spend some time in the Japanese-language forums of fj.comp.*.

However, parallel-port IDE drives seem to be virtually nonexistant in this
company - at least, none of the ones supported by Linux's paride are
available here.  I'm going to just have to import a Microsolutions
Backpack CD drive from the USA.

> As for service by the biggies, it's really been pretty good in most
> cases, whenever I've needed to call on a Sony or NEC or Pioneer or
> Matsushita to come and fix something.

As long as someone else is paying the bill, sure.  Most of the time here,
you can't ever return anything, and warranties are severely lacking.
Customer service is not Japan's strong point by any stretch of the
imagination.

> It's possible to find almost anything in Akihabara. For a long time, it
> was a regular haunt of Russian agents in search of the latest microchips
> and such.

almost anything :)

> The main reason I can think of for being in Japan rather than the U.K.
> is the food. Same goes for Germany, in spades. I'll take sushi over
> Saurkraut any day of the week.

I like both, actually.  Maybe I should start a Germapanese restaurant that
gives you bratwurst tempura and sushi wrapped in sauerkraut instead of
seaweed? :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)