Re: tlug: Kinput2 and Wnn6

    Frank> Hmm.  That's a thought.  But why would Emacs and Kinput2
    Frank> behave differently (in both instances Emacs and Applixware
    Frank> respectively were running solo, by themselves)?

The interfaces are different, so they'll behave differently.

One possibility is that kinput2 is a server, and therefore running as
a specific user, especially if it's in xinitrc or similar.  I don't
know how kinput2 passes private dictionary information to Wnn.  But if
it just passes its effective ID, then wnn thinks that kinput2 is user
kinput, while Emacs is almost certainly running as your personal user.

This would result in the dictionaries getting decoupled.  Take a look
at ps aux and see what userid kinput2 is using.

    Frank> The server certainly _claims_ to be willing to speak with
    Frank> anyone, without conditions:

I don't trust such messages to mean what I think they mean.  The
person who wrote those messages knows altogether too much about how
the program works to write meaningful messages to naive (ie, haven't
read the source) users.

    Frank> Is this due to some limitation in Kinput2 --- maybe the
    Frank> patch for Wnn6 is missing something?

Could be.  Gotta love proprietary softo.

But more likely it's pilot error, ahem, it's that Wnn is just too
bloody complicated for anyone to set up correctly.  Works out of the
box for most people, but one reason I have avoided Wnn for the last
five years is that during the three years previous I was an Wnn user,
and my Wnn privileges would suddenly get revoked by the remote server,
for no reason anyone here could explain.  They would have to restart
the server to fix it.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091