Re: tlug: enscription thru loop device.

Karl-Max Wagner writes:
 > > I would like to enscript cd-recordable image thru loop device.
 > > It seems loop device can't increase file size following the sequence
 > > below:
 > >
 > > $ touch cdr.img
 >
 > That creates a file of the size 0. This won't simply cut it. You
 > have to make a file the size of an actual CDROM. Like this:
 >
 > $ dd if=/dev/zero of=cdr.img bs=1024 count=650000
 >
 > ....well, I don't know what the size of a CDROM exactly is. Put
 > into count the correct number. This is raw size - unformatted.
 >
 > > $ losetup -e des /dev/loop0 cdr.img
 >             ^^^^^^\overkill. Wastes time. Leave it away.
But, this is the whole point to enscript cdr.img file thru loop
device. Actually I failed to patch loop device which uses des. losetup
somehow enscripts, but the password losetup requires doesn't seem to
matter. Strange. And -e xor is too simple. I can clearly see what
password is because cdrom image contains a lot of 00 00 00 00 bits.

 > > $ mkisofs -afvr -o /dev/loop0 <directory>
 >             ^^^^^^^^\leave that away, too. BTW, what
 > do you want with the -o ? cdr.img now is associated with
 > /dev/loop0. Treat it like a partition. Also leave <directory>
 > away. So far /dev/loop0 isn't mounted yet. So <directory> hasn't
 > lost anything in there !

-o means mkisofs outputs to /dev/loop which makes enscripted cdrom
image. <directory> is source of image I want. Then I do:

$ cdrecord -v speed=2 dev=4,0 cdr.img

to burn. Then

$ losetup -e des /dev/loop0 /dev/scd0
$ mount -t iso9660 -r /dev/loop0 /mnt/loop

to mount.

 > > mkisofs fails. Is it usual?
 >
 > As you did things so far, yes.
 >
 > > So far I haven't committed a medium yet. have anyone done already?
 > > Or is there any better way?
 >
 > Now you can offload the file onto a CDR. Use xcdroast for that.
 > It's the best. Made in Munich, so it must be good :-))))).

But xcdroast is just X window frontend to those above programs?
When I know what I am doing, why should I use the frontend?

Regards,
Kei.