Re: tlug: parallel-port IDE

> Does anyone know what brands of parallel-port IDE CD-ROM stuff (like the
> BackPack CD-ROM in the USA) can be bought here?  The people at the stores
> in Shinjuku are apparently clueless, and you can't return anything, so I'm
> probably going to have to go buy one myself tomorrow (and probably miss
> the tlug meeting :( )...

I start to get the impression that setting up your operations in
Japan wasn't a helluva good idea. You shoulda gone to Europe, UK
for example. They speak the same language as in the US, to start
with. And dealers are a lot more flexible hereabouts. In
general, you always can make a borrowing deal at least with the
smaller dealers. No problem. Furthermore, the small dealers in
Europe are a lot more knowledgeable.

Actually, in Japan pretty much anything is in the hands of
biggies and service generally is shitty ( this is normal with
the biggies - just look at Germany's Vobis Computer and you see
what I mean ...... ).

In general, I always got the impression that computer savvy
people in Japan are a lot less numerous that in Europe. Just
look at the docs that come with a new computer. Their level is
so low that you think they are made for monkeys. However, if you
want to know anything a bit more technical, you won't find it in
them. Example: I have DOS/V Ver. 6.22 here. There is ABSOLUTELY
no explanation in any of the docs of how the jkeyb.sys has to be
paramtrized - nor that this is the keytable driver. No word
either that keyb.com doesn't exist.

I have an old DOS 5.0 in German that came with a Vobis notebook
and even they explained the stuff quite neatly. However, they
didn't bother with trivial crap like the Japanese docs .....

I have to admit that I don't understand why that is so. I just
see the facts.....

"It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
  But they called it                 karlmax@example.com
    W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"