tlug: any kterm experts?

I'm sitting here trying to simplify my mail environment.  Currently I run mutt
in an xterm, and whenever I receive a message containing Japanese (fairly
infrequent) I fire up another mutt session in a kterm (and invariably fire up
yet another kterm running xjdic :-).

This is silly.

The main reason I go through these shenanigans is that my eyes are bad
enough that I like a pretty ridiculously large font most of the time.

I've got the F1 and F2 keys mapped in my environment to swap between the
default font size and the "huge" 10x20
(-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--20-200-75-75-c-100-iso8859-1 eieio) font.

Thus most of my xterms are sized reasonably small enough that I can fit
several on my screen without overlap, but whichever xterm I'm working in
I can just hit the F1 key and, shazam!, I've got a nice big font I can
read.

With an xterm I can accomplish this with the following in my .Xdefaults
file:

    XTerm*VT100.Translations:  #override <Key>F1: set-vt-font(6) \n\
            <Key>F2: set-vt-font(d)

Unfortunately, this trick doesn't seem to work with a kterm.  The only
way I can get a kterm to change fonts is by using the ctrl-right-button
menu (ugh -- I hate meeses to pieces).

Anybody know if kterm (or rxvt compiled with kanji support, or whatever)
supports an equivalent keyboard translation to set-vt-font()?

Assuming I get past this hurdle, does anyone have any recommendations
for sources of nice fonts that work together in a variety of sizes
(iso8859 AND jisx0201 AND jisx0208 and maybe even jisx0212)?  I'm
willing to pay for commercial fonts, and scalable type1 fonts would be
wonderful.  The jis kana/kanji & sony kana fonts in the XFree86
distribution are nice, but I'd like more sizes.

One more question: is there a version of xterm that handles kanji, and
handles color, and handles the following gotta-have features from my
.Xdefaults file (below)?  The first 4 in particular I can't live without.

Regards,
--
Rex

8<- - - - - - ~rex/.Xdefaults - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

!
! xterm preferences (in order of preference!)
!

! define "word" to include "/", ".", etc. for double-click selecting
XTerm*VT100.charClass:  33:48,35:48,37:48,43:48,45-47:48,64:48,95:48,126:48,35:48

! triple-click only grabs from where I point to the end of the line
XTerm*cutToBeginningOfLine:     False

! don't include the newline in the selection (makes pasting friendlier)
XTerm*cutNewline:       False

! allow cursor to back up onto previous line (useful for cmd line editing)
XTerm*reverseWrap:      False

! Nice high-contrast, easy-on-the-eyes color scheme
! (from fvwm suggestion by "Lou" <nsyslaw@example.com>)
! [WIBNI: I wish xterm could use function keys to change fg/bg colors]
!XTerm*foreground:	wheat
!XTerm*background:	MidnightBlue

! use jump scrolling for speed
XTerm*jumpScroll:       True

! make every one a login so /etc/profile is always sourced
!XTerm*loginShell:       True

! but don't bother marking a login in /etc/utmp every time
!XTerm*utmpInhibit:	True

! I want scroll bars -- save the last 1000 lines
XTerm*scrollBar:        True
XTerm*saveLines:        1000

! scroll to bottom whenever I press a key
XTerm*scrollKey:        True

! I hate computers beeping at me
XTerm*visualBell:       True

! Set up function keys as follows:
!     F1: change to the "Huge" font
!     F2: change to the default font
!     F3: toggle to/from irritating-beeps/visual-flashes
!     F4: set reverse video
XTerm*VT100.Translations:  #override <Key>F1: set-vt-font(6) \n\
	<Key>F2: set-vt-font(d) \n\
	<Key>F3: set-visual-bell(toggle) \n\
	<Key>F4: set-reverse-video(toggle)