Re: tlug: It works!

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Totoro wrote:
>
> >> /dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             vfat    noauto,user     0 0
> >
> >Not a big deal, as floppies aren't that useful, but why would you have
> >it mounted as vfat? Just curious...
>
> I only have two IP addresses, but more than two machines. However, I sometimes
> want to bring a file over from my Windows 95 machine.  If it's small, rather
> than reach under the desk and unplug the Ethernet for my Sparc 2 and plug in
> the one for my Windows box, I sometimes go the low-tech route and sneakernet
> it.  Often, these files have long file names, hence vfat instead of ms-dos.

Why don't you set up IP Masquerading, then, if you only have 2 IP
addresses?  TL's standard kernels include support for it, so all you need
to do is add a few lines to rc.local to turn them on, like this:

ipfwadm -F -p deny
ipfwadm -F -a m -S 192.168.1.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0

Of course, you'll need 2 network cards in the machine doing this.  Set the
IP address of eth1 to 192.168.1.1, and then your other machines to
192.168.1.2, .3, .4, etc, and have them use 192.168.1.1 as the default
gateway.

email/call me if you have trouble, I've done this quite a few times :)

> I bet you thought nobody used floppy-based sneakernet anymore :-)

and now, you don't have to either. :)

> Jonathan Byrne
> Media and Content Section
> 3Web - Your Internet Solution! <URL:http://www.threeweb.ad.jp/index.en.html>
> 3Web Channel <URL: http://www.3web.co.jp/index.en.html>

> Next Meeting: 10 October, 12:30 Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate
> Featuring the IMASY Eng. Team on "IPv6 - The Next Generation IP"
> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)