Re: tlug: Japanese name brands - why not?

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Michael Chiu's problem reminded me of a question I've had for a
> while:
>
> Why don't the brands that appear on page after page of every Japanese
> computing rag (IOData, Buffalo, Melco, Logitec (no-H) etc) ever get
> mentioned on this list?
>
> And the inverse: why isn't there a single mention (that I can find in
> a recent edition of Computer Shopper nihongo-pan) of any Mylex/
> Buslogic card (except for the RAID version that costs more than any PC
> I've ever owned all by itself)?

It's called 'NIH Syndrome'.  Welcome to Japan.

They should put that on a big sign at the airport.. right above the sign
that says, 'Please place your wallet on the conveyor belt and back away
slowly'.

People on this list usually steer clear of proprietary Japanese brands
that aren't exported to the USA.  I'm not sure what the deal is with
BusLogic - I heard that they closed down their Tokyo office, though.  But,
last time I went shopping, I could find buslogics no problem.  They cost a
bit more than the adaptecs, though.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)