Re: tlug: Sony Vaio

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Michael> The network card is a RATOC REX-280...
>
> If it's a modem/LAN combo, the only one known to work (by me, and IIRC
> by Scott) is the 3Com 3C563 (I've had nothing but success with both
> the C and D firmware levels).  About twice as expensive street price
> IIRC.
>
> 3Com cards are very well supported by Linux.

Unfortunately, however, they're not very well supported by the laws of
physics, as they break down a LOT.  I have a horrendous failure rate on
3com cards (all models).  Never lost an NE2000 card, however, or an Intel
Etherexpress Pro100.  But for PCMCIA... I'd still go with the 3com.
Haven't lost one of that model yet, at least.  Then again, i only have
one..

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)