Re: tlug: IMAP

    >> So the _most_ important consideration for you is not the server, but
    >> the clients.  If the clients download all mail to disk, then read them
    >> (normal case, I should think), then privacy cannot be protected unless
    >> users learn to delete local copies.

    Frank> An IMAP server seems to promise (the possibility of) better
    Frank> management when a user accesses the same mailbox(es) from

Yes; I meant choice of IMAP server, not IMAP vs. POP.

I think Pine does this right.  But not all alleged IMAP clients do.
For example, fetchmail does not (and says so right on the box;
fetchmail assumes you want to manage your stream locally, that's why
you're injecting it into SMTP in the first place---fetchmail addresses
the converse problem of too many servers feeding the same user).

    Frank> And I am not going to get into the game of trying to
    Frank> persuade my users (whom I never see in one place at one
    Frank> time) to use a mail client that is not aglow with the halo
    Frank> of popularity.

At the present time you are limited to Pine, then; other IMAP clients
are not well known.  I haven't investigated much, though, since none
of my preferred Emacs MUAs implement IMAP, I don't use it.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091