Re: tlug: LILO Vs. 1024 - Round 2

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Rex Walters wrote:
>
> >The only issue might be if mkswap complains -- a swap partition needs to
> >be strictly less than 127.6875 MB (assuming x86).  You might have to
>
> As a matter of fact it did complain :-)  I read that swap files can be up to
> 128 meg, so I took the book at its word and made it a 128 meg partition.
> mkswap shaved off a few hundred bytes, which are now in limbo.
>
> Thanks for the tune2fs info, I'll certainly use it.  Is it OK to also do that
> while booting off the old disk, with the new one unmounted?  I do leave my
> system powered up all the time, so what fsck frequency would you suggest?

I remember that I was surprised the first time I saw the "/dev/hda3 has
reached maximal mount count, check forced" on my home machine - the
machines at the office that are left powered up don't ever hit it, at
least not that I've noticed.  Probably still a good idea to stagger them
out, however, as Rex suggested, just in case you plan to crash your system
a lot :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)