Re: tlug: LILO Vs. 1024??

On Wed, Oct 07, 1998 at 03:08:12PM +0900, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> /home
> /
> /user
>
> Any others?

I'd definitely use separate filesystems for /, /usr, and /home, would
almost certainly add one for /var, and would seriously consider some or
all of the following in their own partition:

    /tmp
    /usr/X11
    /usr/local
    /usr/src

It depends on your needs.  The KISS principle definitely applies -- if
you don't think it needs it's own, don't separate it out.

> Do you (or does anyone) know of any projects under development - free or not-
> to provide the type of on-the-fly partitioning capabilities that Partition
> Magic provides for practically everything on Intel except UNIX/Linux?  Right
> now, Partition Magic only reads ext2 but doesn't write it.  I hope someday
> they add write capability, but I also hope someday comes a lot sooner.

You must have clicked those ruby slippers together.

I believe Theodore T'so wrote the ext2fs stuff for Partition Magic *AND*
he has written resize stuff for ext2fs.  Check the normal Linux web
haunts for details.

Regards,
--
Rex