tlug: Downward Spiral

I have been trying to avoid posting my plea for help, but alas
every step forward I take brings me two steps back.

I want to make some nice, warm, fuzzy GUI, so I download the gtk+
gtk-- source to make the library. My compiler (GCC v 2.7.2, I think)
has problems with the templates, so I download the gcc 2.8.1.1 and
libstdc++ something.  I compile it and during "make install", "make"
breaks.  Now anytime I type `make` I get a core dump.  I download a
make ELF binary.  Now make works.  So, I find some file on sunsite
(which wasn't on the GNU mirror) that says use egcs.  I download egcs
and the libstdc++ and compile and install.  Great!  Now the iostream.h
file generates warnings and the linker fails.  So, I give up, download
the slackware d1 directory and run setup, and install that over again.
That should work, right?

Script started on Wed Oct  7 13:34:41 1998
$ cat newc.cc
#include <iostream.h>
#include <string>

int main() {
        string me = "Mike C";
        cout << me << endl;
        return 0;
}
$ g++ -o newc newc.cc
/usr/i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1/bin/as: unrecognized option `-Qy'
$ man as
/usr/bin/tbl: can't load library 'libstdc++.so.27'
/usr/bin/groff: can't load library 'libstdc++.so.27'
$ echo Damn!
Damn!
$ exit

I su'ed and ldconfiged but that didn't fix anything.  So now I have
two questions...

(1) How can I fix this?
(2) More importantly, where did I go wrong?  I read the GCC howto
    file, all the appropriate INSTALL and README files and followed
    the instructions to the letter.  I realize I am not an "advanced
    user," (ie I was not around for the *first* millenium bug) but
    where to go from here?  How can I find out *why* tbl
    must have libstdc++.so.27 and not libstdc++.so.2.8.1.1?  What
    should I have read to avoid this mess?