Re: tlug: LILO Vs. 1024??

    Jonathan> On Tue, 6 Oct 1998, Karl-Max Wagner wrote:
    >> Check that the bootdevice in lilo.conf is given as /dev/xxx
    >> WITHOUT (!!!!!!!!!!!) a number behind it. In this case LILO
    >> installs in the MBR. If you give a number it installs in the

    Jonathan> That part seems OK.  Here's my lilo.conf.  Does anything

Looks good to me.

    Jonathan> seem wrong with it?  The disk has two partitions on it.
    Jonathan> The first is a 64 meg swap partition, and the second is
    Jonathan> all the rest, which Linux is installed in.

The fact that BIOS/CMOS reports that the number of heads is unset is
very, very bad magic, I would say trash the LBA approach.

One reason I never ever use large partitions is that I want my root
partition to be small enough to (a) fit within BIOS limits and (b) be
mirrored (YOWSA!) when I'm feeling rally, rally paranoid, rally ah
do.

I've actually used a root partition mirror twice, both times due to
pilot error.

Normal structure of a hard drive with a system installed on it:

/dev/?da1	 50 MB		 /
/dev/?da2	 128 MB		 <swap>
/dev/?da3	 512 MB		 /usr		# this is much too
						# small nowadays :-(
/dev/?da4			 <extended>
/dev/?da5	 100 MB		 /var

and the rest gets allocated to /home (on multi-human-user systems),
/playpen, /WWW, etc depending on use and size of disk.

Paranoid structure:

/dev/?da1	 50 MB		 /
/dev/?da2	 128 MB		 <swap>
/dev/?da3	 50 MB		 /.root_mirror

etc.  I've yet to have a LILO problem with this, I think that's
because everything of interest to LILO always fits under the magic
BIOS limit.  (But maybe somebody can tell me whether that's right or
wrong; I could just be lucky.)

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091