Re: tlug: LILO Vs. 1024??

> Jonathan
>
> Try this one.
>
> /sbin/lilo -v
>
> I think this operation updates MBR.

Wrong. It increases verbosity. Nothing else.
> > My gut feeling is that for whatever reason, LILO didn't install in the MBR
> > on the new disk.  What do I need to do from there to get it straightened
> > out?

Check that the bootdevice in lilo.conf is given as /dev/xxx
WITHOUT (!!!!!!!!!!!) a number behind it. In this case LILO
installs in the MBR. If you give a number it installs in the
partition indicated and NOT (!!!!!!!!!) in the MBR.

I guess that's what happened in your case. The following is what
I use:

# LILO configuration created by QuickInst 0.17  Tue Jan 21
# 00:15:55 GMT 1997

boot = /dev/hda
#           ^^^\ no number following this !!!!!!!!!!!!!
# prompt
delay = 5       # optional, for systems that boot very quickly
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
#image = /bzImage.scsi
#   label = scsi
#   root = /dev/hda1
#image = /zImage.bare
#   label = bare
#   root = /dev/hda1
image = /zImage.neu
   label = neu
   root = /dev/hda1

I also threw that infamous "compact" option out. It causes
trouble more often than not ( trouble = computer doesn't boot ).

"It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
  But they called it                 karlmax@example.com
    W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"