RE: tlug: LILO Vs. 1024 cylinders

> Ain't no drag - papa's got a brand new disk!

...papa's keepin' late hours on a school night too... ;-)

> When I
> ran fdisk on this drive to partition it, I was warned that the drive has
> over 1024 cylinders (yeah, it has over 12,000!) and that this could be a
> problem for LILO.  So what inquiring minds wanna know is:
>
> 1) Why is this a problem for LILO?

well, have just actually installed RH5.1 recently (been a FreeBSD'er all
along in the office...), I've recently seen the same warnings;  here's what
I could track down.

"...What exactly is the 1024th cylander?  That's where IDE ends and EIDE
begins-- that's the 528M "mark" on your hard disk."    (quoted, spelling
errors intact, from an FAQ I didn't keep the author of)

> 2) What should I do about it?

"...Start your Linux partition at around 520 M, so the entire kernel and
other boot/loader files will completely reside below that cylander..."

Let me know how you make out, and if you find a way around this if need be.
The first partition on my 8.4G is around 1G, and is already occupied,  so I
haven't installed RH on that disk...yet.  Speaking of which, if anyone has
any experience/tips on installing RH5.1 and WinNT on a disk already
containing Win98 in the first Gig, I'm all ears.  I've Partition Magic, so
moving things around isn't *too* much of a chore... if I have too.

...time for my futon...

Sean.

--
Sean Bennett