Re: tlug: Bound Gimp manual?

On Mon, 5 Oct 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     jb> poorly indeed (kiss all your smoothing and blurring goodbye
>     jb> when you make index an image to turn it into a .gif, for
>     jb> example)
>
> So?
>
> Make two images, one with PNG (which supports a reasonable number of
> colors) and one with GIF, and let the users of proprietary image
> formats kiss them goodbye.

And I'm going to go to all the trouble to make sure of which browser
versions support which PNG features (like everything else, NS and MS don't
do this the same way) and bother to set up web pages to detect which one
the person is using and serve up a page with the correct image in it?
Riiiiiiiiiight.  Nope, if some more experimentation doesn't yield a way to
get satisfactory results from Gimp, I'll keep making graphics under
Windows for a while.

Oh, and since you seem to dislike bloated files, you should disklike PNG,
too - PNG files are typically far larger than either a .gif or .jpg
representation of a given image.  I'm sure that's one of the big reasons
why one rarely encounters PNG files on the web - designers take one look
at the size and say "Forget it!" then do the image as a .gif or .jpg.
Other than the size issue, PNG is nice, but usually too fat for web use.

Cheers,

Jonathan