Re: tlug: Re: search & replace (was: Grep for subdirectories?)

> No, what?  An inode-walk/find within perl or getting the filenames from
> stdin wouldn't be better than invoking a perl process for every html
> file found?
>
> I think I may have somehow irritated you.  Apologies if so.

No its just been a weird day.

Sorry.  The no is its a trivial aspect and not messy in this case.
Piping through xargs doesn7t require any extra work on anyones part.  I
had interpreted your sayign that it would messy/difficult to mean that
you didn't know of a simple inline like I presented.
My apologies.

> > find . -name '*.html' -print | xargs perl -pi.bak -e "s/match/replace/"
>
> This is exactly what I meant about feeding the filenames to stdin.
> You've chosen to use another external program (xargs), but I
> would probably do the same for a one-off like this.
>
> > Now you've got one perl process (or one per however many arguments
> > xargs supports)
>
> To be pedantic, one find process, n xargs processes, and n perl
> processes.  Absolutely better than the original, but it can still all be
> done in perl (I refuse to think about any problems that *CAN'T* be done
> in perl :-).

Exactly where n is incremented each time xargs gives up on what it will
take for one pass.

> > And the question was how to find the files in recursed directories,
> > with a followup of how to operate on them..
>
> No, as I was so careful to quote in my previous message, the question I
> was responding to mentioned nothing about recursed directories, it was
> purely a "by the way, how do I do this" question.

Hmm, my misread, I included the subject in the question as a matter of course.

-Scott
--
Today is Thursday,
actually I think yesterday was thursday.