Re: tlug: Dial-up - IMPOSSIBLE!

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Marc E. Christensen wrote:

> I am having real problems getting a dial-up into my office working.  The
> weird thing is that it worked fine before upgrading from 1.0 to 1.2.  It
> was a clean - start-from-scratch install on clean partitions.

1.0 to 1.2  --  of what?  TurboLinux?

> I had slip working on the old system just fine.  I backed up all important
> files, re-fdisked, installed and then copied the configurations for dial
> up while reading documentation to make sure I was aware of any changes.
> It did not work.  So, I restored the old tools (dip) on the server.  No
> changes.  I thought that maybe it was my new 2.0.35 kernel that I had
> compiled which wasn't working.  I restored the old kernel and modules, set
> up LILO.  No change when I re-booted.
>
> Go figure.
>
> I am at wit's end.
>
> I just can't figure out what is going on.
>
> The dial-up server is on a Class C subnet that seems to be connected to
> either a hub or a router.  I can see traffic from other machines than
> those on the local cat5 connected machines.
>
> Shouldn't a dial-up server respond to IP traffic intended for it's dialup
> IP as if it were that IP?

only if you're setting it up for IP Masquerading.

> Once a dial-up connection is established, from home, I can ping, slogin,
> telnet, FTP etc. from the dial-up client to the dial-up server.  I cannot,
> however, make a connection to any other machine (local or otherwise).
> Upon looking at the logs of a machine on the local subnet of the server
> diring a ping or other type of connection, I see ICMP redirect requests
> coming from the gateway of the subnet.  It's as if the packets go out from
> the client, through the dial-up server yet the server does not respond to
> anything destined for the dial-up client.

You have no route set up.  If you were using IP Masq before, questions to
ask yourself are:

1.  Did you compile IP Masq into your new kernel?  If you're using TL, its
default kernels come with IP Masq compiled in.

2.  Did you back up and restore the file that was setting the masquerading
rules?  I usually put them in /etc/rc.d/rc.local when I set up IP Masq,
but they can be in any of the startup scripts.  See
/usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerading.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)