Re: tlug: Bound Gimp manual?

On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Oct 1998, Shigeo Honda wrote:
>
> > I was a honest Photoshop user. But I enjoy Gimp these days. Easy to
> > create web parts, such as 3D buttons, drop shadows and so on.
>
> Thanks for the tip on the book!  Maybe you can tell me how to work around
> this problem I've had with Gimp, too :-)  If I make an image (nothing real
> complicated, pointers, text graphics, things like that) and have it very
> smooth looking, that doesn't survive conversion to .gif format.  The
> instructions I've found say that you need to quantize the colors and then
> change the image from RGB to Indexed.  Quantizing the colors is no
> problem, but when I make it indexed, everything like gaussian blurring,
> etc., disappears and the image is really jagged.  Is there something
> different I should be doing, or is this just something in Gimp that needs
> more work?

Try merging all the layers before you save the image.

> Right now I usually use Paint Shop Pro 5 under Windows for making
> graphics, because it's powerful, super easy to use, and can often take
> things all the way down to 16 colors while retaining good image quality.
> When it can't, I use Image Magick's mogrify program, which is amazingly
> good at color reduction.  It's better than anything I've ever used, and
> I highly recommend it.   It would really be nice to get that book, though,
> and figure out how to do some of this stuff with Gimp.  Thanks for the
> info.

PSP5 == bloatware.  There's way more stuff in there than I'd ever
conceivably use, and wading through all that crap to learn a new UI is
kind of a waste of time, IMHO, at least until it's ported to Linux or runs
under WINE..

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)