Re: tlug: Running X with Riva128

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Takeshi Hakamada wrote:

> > I have a couple of these and I've never had any problems.  I suspect your
> > kernel revision might have something to do with it.  Use a 2.0.35 kernel
> > compiled with gcc 2.7.2.3, and a standard XFree86 3.3.2 SVGA server, and
> > it will/should work.
> >

> I also compiled 2.0.35 with gcc 2.7.2.3 and use XFree86 3.3.2 SVGA server
> which comes with RedHat5.1, I still have same problem.
>

> > > Does anybody have idea? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > > If I can't run X with STB card, I immediately replace the video card.
> > >
> > > Following is my environment:
> > > Mother board: EPoX MVP3 based card
> > > CPU: K6-2 300MHz
> > > VIDEO: STB Velocity 128 AGP(Riva128)
> >
> > Really, I have exactly the same motherboard, CPU, and video card at home
> > -- works great for me (so it is possible to make it work :) )
> >

> Odd...
> Besides above configuration, I have installed Initio(aka Abaptek) 9200UW
> dual Ultra Wide SCSI card and Ensoniq Audio PCI sound card.
> So PnP configuration on BIOS might be something bad. I think it is worth
> removing these cards. I'll have a go.

Try it.  The Riva128 *must* have an IRQ assigned to it in order to work
with Linux, BTW.  Make sure that your CMOS is assigning it one, and that
it's not conflicting with your fancy-pants SCSI and sound cards :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)