Re: tlug: US UPSes in Japan

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 03, 1998 at 01:18:25PM +0900, Scott Stone wrote:
> >
> > OK, we've had our power upgraded here at PHT, and the TLUG server is now
> > back on-line.  AND, I can use my American UPSes now - grounded outlets!
> > yes!
>
> For what its worth, at least one TPC member had trouble using a couple of
> American UPSes here.  APC told him that it was due to their rapidly
> switching on/off during brownouts of the already lower than US normal line
> voltage.  (And said they wouldn't support a US model being used here.)

I think it's because there's no proper grounding of outlets here.  My
SmartUPS 600 would NOT work on the standard outlets - that's why they came
out and gave us nice grounded outlets.  The 600 is happily powering three
systems now.  The 280 is.. well, dead.  I think it was dead before it even
got to Japan, though.

Although, maybe the 600 has some kind of internal voltage transformer that
the 280 doesn't?  I tried the dipswitches on the 280 to change the line
voltage settings, but to no avail.

> --
> Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   ICQ: 5981586
> Tokyo PC Users Group Free Akihabara Shopping Tour, Sunday October 18th
> http://www.tpc.ml.org/

> Next Meeting: 10 October, 12:30 Tokyo Station Yaesu central gate
> Featuring the IMASY Eng. Team on "IPv6 - The Next Generation IP"
> Next Nomikai: 20 November, 19:30  Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
> Sponsor: PHT, makers of TurboLinux http://www.pht.co.jp

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)