Re: tlug: 1.Japanese hard- and software/2.Netscape

On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Oct 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> >The NEC PC98 still has a lot of market share here, but they aren't being
> >made anymore.
>
> Say what?!  The NEC PC98 series probably ships more machines than any other
> single platform in Japan, and they have notebooks, servers, desktops, and
> entry-level desktops.   Combined, NEC has something like 50% of the market
> here even now, and most of that is in PC98 machines, not standard PCs.
> Doesn't sound like something that isn't made anymore :-) It will be years yet,
> if ever, before NEC drops the 98 architecture.

Not true, it's gone now.  There are no more 98 architecture machines being
made.  All of the NEC machines being sold now are standard PC
architecture, from what I've been told by people other than Jonathan :)

> And if you don't like JP-106 keyboards, try out an NEC sometime: they're
> *much* worse.

that's true - we have one here.  Iris complains about it a lot, since she
has to use it for accounting.

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)