Re: tlug: 1.Japanese hard- and software/2.Netscape

On Fri, 2 Oct 1998, WolfgangWalter Sauer wrote:

> Thank you for your replys! I've had a totally wrong idea of Japanese
> hard- and software (thought NEC is the standard.)

The NEC PC98 still has a lot of market share here, but they aren't being
made anymore.  NEC is making 'real PCs' now, which are compatible with
other PCs.  The PC98 was designed in the early 80s when standard PC
graphics cards didn't have enough resolution to display Japanese
characters (however, they did the typical Japanese NIH thing and made a
lot of other stuff non-standard as well, which they didn't need to do, and
has caused problems ...).  But, now that we have VGA, the niche that the
PC98 was designed to fill no longer exists.  So basically any computer
stuff that you buy here in Japan will work with your existing stuff in
Germany or the USA or whatever, with the exception of ISDN, and that's
NTT's fault (again, Japanese NIH Syndrome) for creating an ISDN switch
that's different than any other ISDN switch anywhere in the world.

I'm starting to think that the Japanese just drive on the left because
fewer countries were doing so when the choice was made :)

               <sstone@example.com>
Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)