Re: tlug: Sobering WWWJDIC Stats

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> wrote:

>> It could be arranged that edict.el would use your site, instead of the
>> local dictionary, by default.

Really? Wouldn't it mean an umpteen Mb file copy every time you went to
use it.? I haven't looked into edict.el for years, but I don't think it
does an indexed search at all.

BTW, if anyone is running xjdic, I run the client/server form here, as a
coupel o people around Monash are using clients. If disk space is tight,
that's an option. The server does the searches and returns the  results
to the clients.

>> People who don't install edict locally because they can't hack pkunzip
>> are not using Linux.  And given disk prices these days, 5MB of edict +
>> enamdict + kanjidic is tiny; heck, a full Unicode database is about
>> 40MB and nowhere near as useful ;-)  I can't imagine any other reason
>> for not installing it.

I seem to spend most of my life on the edge of my disk space.

>> Hey!  check your _ftp_ logs.  I bet every single one of those hits was
>> followed within 5 minutes by a download of the EDICT data and
>> software.

Not at all. Most users are PeeCee people, and while there are reasonable
Unix and Mac engines for the edict/kanjidic/etc. family, Whinedoze is a
bit lacking. If I could actually turn my WWWJDIC code into a Whinedoze
(MCP or MCF or whatever they call it), I'd actually make a shekel or
two. The guy who wrote the new JWPce is threatening to do one, and so is
Mark Edwards, so the Wintel brigade might get there.

Jim

--
Jim Breen        School of Computer Science & Software Engineering
Email: j.breen@example.com                Monash University