Re: tlug: Interesting statistic

I (Howard Abbey) wrote:
> The 'hitometer' uses a loadable graphic to record visits.  So, it
> ignores:
> text-only browsers
> browsers with graphics turned off
> people who filter out web advertisements and counter.cgi
The url the hitometer uses to count on the WebSiteJournal is:
http://images.atweb.com/counter/counter.cgi?851818|632782

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> How and (mostly) why?

I was counting the above methods as falling into 'hiding identity',
especialy the third one.  I know I use the junkbuster web filter
to primarily speed up my connection by refusing these requests that
give me no added web content.  (I don't really care how many hits a
page thinks it's gotten.)  They are very often extremely slower than
the rest of the page, because they're on a completely different site.

So, I refuse to use bandwidth to give out information that is of little
use to either side.  (This is the first I've heard this technique used
for more than counting page hits, but I still don't consider it very
usefull because of the other reasons it is innaccurate and amateurish.)
I just told junkbuster to block any url containing 'counter'.

As I said, these methods aren't only in Linux, but I have a feeling
more Linux users use web filters, text only browsers, and are also
more likely to not wait for that last picture before hitting Stop.

--
Howard